Thursday, April 29, 2010

33 years young!

I am absolutely awful at keeping things from my husband. That's a good thing most of the time! Buuuuttttt when it comes to birthdays and Christmases and every other time we get each other gifts, it is a very, very bad thing! I think I should start waiting to buy gifts until the day of his birthday so I don't give it to him ahead of time. Sad thing is.. he is no better. We decided we're going to be OK with it...it's kinda our thing!

Gift #1 came a few weeks ago. Each week when my hubby pays the bills and does "bookwork", I watch him write our address in the corner of the envelope. Once I took a stack of blank envelopes and wrote our address in each corner. Most of our bills are paid online but there are a few that still go snail mail. One day the thought came to me that I should get him a stamp for his birthday. So I stopped at Staples and ordered one. It was done in 10 minutes!!! I thought it would take a week or 2, therefore taking care of me wanting to give it to him early! When I got it, I thought it was the coolest thing! I'm surprised I didn't wear it out the first evening, stamping our address on everything in sight! That night in bed after a long conversation where my husband played along with me wanting to give him his gift....I gave it to him. One cannot enjoy the beauty of such a gift at 10:00 at night! He loved it but I didn't think he did because he didn't "jump up and down", and didn't seem that excited about it. Keep in mind this was 10 at night! Poor man....Lesson learned for me!
The 2nd and better gift took a lot more work. My hubby had mentioned quite a few times that he wishes I would put pictures together of before and after pictures of our house. What better time to do this than his birthday? I worked on the book online when we wasn't around, and was careful to hide any e-mails about it! I love Shutterfly and it really didn't take too long!

The package came a week before his birthday. When he called me that afternoon on his break, I told him that I got his birthday present. He proceeded to try and figure out every store I had been in that day and tried to get it out of me what it was! Seriously we have SO much fun together. All of these conversations were full of laughter and joking and teasing and flirting. One of the top things on my "list" of what I wanted in a husband was someone I could laugh with. I have never laughed more than I have with this man!
Of course, being true to tradition, I gave him his gift that night. I just couldn't wait to see his face! But, before I gave it to him I made sure he wasn't tired!!!He loved it and promptly looked at it a few times. The next day when he got home from work the first thing he did (after kissing me ) was look at it again!
Here's to many, many more early birthday gifts!

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome! i'm not much of a surprise person either- now i feel a little better for my impatience! lol -crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your hubby! what a great idea with the book of before/after pictures!

    hope he has a great day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete