Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fiber Balls

Did you ever, all of a sudden, get a craving or an urge for something? A few weeks ago, out of the blue, I thought about these things called "fiber balls". My sis and I used to make them alot when we were younger. Since my hubby is not a fan of peanut butter, which is probably a good thing since it is a weakness of mine, it's been a while since I made them. I put off making them because I knew they would either have to be given away or they would sit in the fridge calling my name. I would've been on my own to finish them off. Not a good thing, trust me! Not that they're really bad for you and they probably are a much better choice than say, peanut butter eggs which are screaming my name these days. They are the best at Easter.
It came to me that maybe if I got my husband to "help" me make them, he would like them! Isn't that what they say about kids? If they help to make it, it's likely that they will try it! Not that my husband is a kid or anything, but it might work. And guess what? It did! It worked! He loved them. He helped me roll them all out and then tried them and declared that they would make a wonderful addition to his lunch! SCORE!
Sooo, I have been making them every now and then. It's such a win-win. I absolutely love them, and hubby does too! Plus, they are chock full of fiber which is good for you, and in my opinion healthier than cookies. They are also easy to make and fun for kids to help with.
Start out mixing 1 cup honey with 1 cup peanut butter. Sticky, sticky.
In a separate bowl, combine 3 c. oatmeal, 1 c. choc. chips (I use mini), 3/4 c. bran, (I use oat), 1/4 tsp. salt. 1 c. cocunut and 1 c. raisins.
Mix it all together and roll into balls about the size of a walnut. This gets very sticky and your hands will kinda glump together after a while.


YUMMO!

They are best kept in the refrigerator or freezer.
Enjoy!
Fiber Balls:
1 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup choc. chips
1/2-1 cup bran (I use 1 cup of oat bran)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup coconut
1 cup nuts or raisins
Mix honey and peanut butter together, then stir in remaining ingredients. Shape into balls and freeze or refrigerate.

5 comments:

  1. Bingo Mimy!
    Kylie's allergic to dairy so I'm always looking for recipes without butter & milk. That's not easy to find for cookies & snacks. So when I saw this I said Great, I'll just mix all but the choc. chips and roll a few for her, then add them and make the rest. Then I was shopping at BB's and guess what I found - dairy free choc. chips! I didn't even know they make 'em. She likes the fiber balls so this is a keeper!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was SOOOOOOOOO excited to find your recipe for these fiber balls!!! My mom and I go to the local Amish market every Friday when they open, just to buy these...and they sell them in packs of 12 for $5.25...which can get pretty expensive! I eat 2-3 every morning in place of my breakfast...or use them as a quick source of protein when I'm on the go (which is normal for me and my 2 baby girls!). I tried this recipe, hoping not to be disappointed if they weren't the same...and I was NOT disappointed in the least! They are EXACTLY what we go and pay a lot of money for...because I buy 2 packs per week. Now I can make my own, without breaking the bank...so thank you, thank you, thank you...for this most awesome recipe!

    The only thing I would advise...is to people who might be giving them to kids or who might have loose bowel issues...limit the bran to less than 1/2 cup...or eliminate it all together! The bran is super healthy...and makes the bowels work super good...so just be careful with the amount of bran until you know how these will effect you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent!!!! This is just what I was looking for. I found these balls at an Amish stand as well and wanted more, they are so yummy. These are a true copy of them, same great taste. I would suggest using mini chocolate chips,if possible, it seems work better when forming the balls versus the regular size. Goes great with a coffee and or/tea. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mimi! Hey, this is our #1, very favorite recipe! We used to go to Honey Brook with you a number of years ago! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!! Charlien Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi! So i just did a hurried google search for Fiber Balls and this page came up!! how cool is that!? Couldn't ask for a more reliable source for what i was looking for! =)

    ReplyDelete