Friday, March 19, 2010

'Nother Auction Find

Remember a few days ago when I ended up at an auction instead of buying pansies? By the way every time I think of pansies now I think of Madagascar and the little lemur thing calling the other animals pansies. "They are just a bunch of pansies" .. Said in a very lemurish voice. Random, I know. Moving on...

At then end of one of the rows and rows of treasures, sat this pile of cupboard doors.
They didn't seem like the thing to buy, but as the auctioneer was begging someone, anyone, to start bidding, my hand went up. Before I knew it, for $1 this pile was now mine. My mind was spinning, trying to think of what to do with them. I love reading blogs about how people redo things, and I knew the latest thing on a lot of blogs is making chalkboards. These would make wonderful chalkboards I thought and so I set out to do just that. Since the cupboard fronts were already lite, I didn't primer them. Using leftover paint from our house remodel, I painted the edges, then after it dried, I sanded the edges and corners to look aged.
Then I covered the inside part with 3 coats of chalkboard paint. This was my first time woking with chalkboard paint and next time I will take my time more. It was hard to get close to the edge without going up the edge a little! I have a few things in mind to try next time! Here's the finished product.
There are about 15 more boards waiting on me in our garage. My goal is to have them all done and then sell them at the GMS yard sale! I plan on doing some different colors and also adding some corkboard to half of the bigger ones, turnng it the other way so that the bulletin board would be on the top half and the chalkboard on the bottom half and then maybe adding some key hooks on the bottom to make it a "message center".
For $1.00, I think I got a pretty good deal!

3 comments:

  1. i think the middle can be taken out of the frame...not sure but i've read of persons replace the center w/wire/fabric, etc. if this can be done it would make paint/chalk easier to work with...good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is way cool Mimmy. maybe i should get one from ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these too...my sis in law has one of her kitchen cupboards as a chalkboard and is so cute and "usable" at the same time, right in her kitchen. I love your idea of doing part cork board and then adding key hooks. Perfect! And yea, if you sell them at a yard sale you're even bringing in some profit! =)

    ReplyDelete