Monday, June 7, 2010

Rich Heritage

The older I get the more I appreciate where I came from.  When I look around at all the junk in people's lives and all the hard stuff they've been through, it makes me even more thankful for the "sheltered" upbringing I had.  Sure, I've had my share of stuff, but my few trials are nothing compared to what others have gone through. 
(My Mom's mother.  "Mommie")
I grew up in a conservative family.  My parents left the Amish church when I was 2 years old.  There are plenty of things I disagree with about the Amish and they're beliefs but I choose to find the good in the way I grew up, and the things I was taught.  Wearing all the right clothes and living a plain lifestyle will not get you to heaven.  Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and accepting him as your Savior will.  How sad that many folks don't see it that way.  It doesn't take much to realize how sin and evil is often covered up with "good works". 
(Granny, Brad's mom's mother)
My family was always close and family is so important to me.  The older I get the more I realize how blessed I am to have the family and the heritage I have.  My grandmothers are still living.  Both of my grandfathers passed on years ago.  My fathers dad passed away before my parents were ever married, and my moms dad passed away when I was in first grade.  I'm thankful for the few memories I have of "Dawdy".   
(My dad's mom.  Mommie Petersheim)
At the beginning of this year, Brad and I decided to make an effort to visit each of our grandparents every month.  It takes effort and there have been many Sunday afternoon naps sacrificed, but it has been so worth it.   Brad's fathers parents are still living and his moms mother is still living.  We have been able to visit each one of our grandparents every month except one month.  We had planned to "go visiting" the last Sunday of April, but made a quick weekend trip for a funeral so that messed up that month.

(Brad's dad's parents)


     It has been such a blessing to sit and visit with the older generation.  Yes, we hear the same stories over and over and over again, but we just laugh and nod along as if we had never heard them!   Our grandparents are as different as night and day, but there are things we learn from each of them.

My "Mommie" is 92 and lives with my parents.  She is probably the one I have the most memories of, especially in the past few years.  It breaks my heart to see her aging and getting older.  She still has most of her right mind but longs to die and go to heaven.  She takes a lot of care, but is still a joy.

Brad's grandparents love to go out to eat.  Last weekend we took them out to "Country Gardens".  They loved it and so did we!  Brad and I come from 2 different cultures and 2 different ways of life.  There are good and bad on both ends.  Our prayer is that we could be a blessing to each one of these dear older souls.  We realize they won't be around forever and we want to make memories with them while we can.
If you haven't spent an hour with your grandma/grandpa lately, I would suggest giving it a try! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Mimy. for the reminder. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. It is good to learn from our older generation.

    I love hearing about your life! With your husband's family and your family being quite different, did you have a lot of learning to come to your own way of family life? Do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just went to see my grandparents last night (they are in there late 80's) and my grandma told me to come again soon. I thought to myself later why dont I go more ofton? I really should because granpas health is failing and I do not know how much longer I will have them. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Mimy. I wish I could go visit Grandma at her house again, like I did so many times. Grandparents are so dear!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that is so invaluable! beautiful post! i think we can overlook the good in our culture so often, it's refreshing to see someone bringing out the positive and what a gift it is! yay for grandparents!!

    ReplyDelete