Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bible School and the Big Picture

Last week our chuch had our annual Vacation Bible School.  There were a lot of kids and adults who came out each night.  I helped to teach the 6-8 grade girls.  Thankfully I just had to do the craft part and someone else was in charge of the Bible Hour.  We got into some interesing discussions with the girls.  They were very open about sharing their heart.  I really cannot relate to the stuff they are struggling with.  I was so blessed to grow up in a Christian home and go to a private Christian school.  Sure there was stuff that went on when I was growing up, but nothing compared to what these girls are facing. I really had no idea that things are so bad "out there".  You hear of things on the news and in magazines and papers but it's real.  In our back yard.


At the beginning of the week, I wasn't sure what to expect.  It really was out of my comfort zone for me.  I am used to working with "little kids", like first graders, and now I was faced with teenagers!  I was scared that I would not have a heart for them or so I prayed that God would give me a heart for them and he did just that.  It broke my heart to hear their stories of rape, pressure for sex, sexting, abuse, feeling ugly...and many other things.  I pray that God would keep showing up in their lives in little ways.  Hopefully something they learned will stick with them for life.


So anyway, I was asked to come up with a craft.  Someone suggested I do something with chalkboard paint.  We painted frames and did the glass part in chalkboard paint.  Then they decorated the outside part.


The best part was that I got all of the frames for FREE!  I work at an auction and anything that does not sell, is free for the taking to employees.  So I was on the lookout for frames.  Others who worked there kept a look out for them for me too!


Love the buttons on this one!



You never know who you will touch today.  Sometimes I wonder how many oppurtunites slip us by because we are so focused on ourselves and our struggles.  There's a whole other world out there with people who are hurting.  Bible School week was smack dab in the middle of the crazy week I was having.  It was like God was telling me that my little problems like the A.C. not working, lost checks, missing cell phones etc. are nothing compared to the things these girls have to work through. 

We so don't see the Big Picture... 

3 comments:

  1. a perfect example of 'casting your bread upon the waters & you can look for returns! blessings to you, mimy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice craft! I bet my girl would love to make one of those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maurie@GraciousInteriors.blogspotJune 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM

    What a great perspective. We do need to keep our eyes on others rather than on ourselves. Your week with the teenage girls was eternal. Thank you for being Christ to them. And, thanks too for stopping by my blog. We do live in a beautiful part of God's world! We are fairly sheltered here, so it is surprising what you found as issues even here in conservative Lancaster County. May the Lord bless you for you input into these girls' lives.

    ReplyDelete